Small Actions For Charities
On the internet, there are plenty of ways you can easily help worthy charities by playing games, clicking on a website, or proofreading a single page of a book. Here's a list of charities that I like - and support - myself, checked for accuracy and currentness in January of 2010.
Games For Charity
Online games which raise money for charities:
- Give free rice to hungry people by playing a simple game that increases your knowledge. Rice is distributed by the UN World Food Program. The default topic is vocabulary but if you follow the "Change Subject" link there are many others available. All of them that I have tried should be accessible to screen readers except the "Famous paintings" and "Identify countries on the map" ones.
- A short-term memory training game that gets you to memorise numbers from 1 to 10 digits long and type them back into the game to earn cups of water. Clean Water is distributed through World Vision.
These aren't games, but they're small things you can do daily for charities .
Click To Give Sites
These sites depend on you viewing advertisements, and some also offer search engine access, shops with things to buy, and other ways you can raise money for the site. I have noted in brackets after the name for those sites where the proceeds are directed to only one country.
- The Rainforest Site
- Funds the purchase of rainforest land by The Nature Conservancy, The Rainforest Conservation Fund, The World Parks Endowment, and The Friends of Calakmul. These organizations work to preserve rainforest land in Ecuador, Mexico, Peru, Paraguay and other locations worldwide.
- The Animal Rescue Site (USA)
- Funding for food and care is paid by site sponsors and distributed to animals in need at the Fund for Animals' renowned animal sanctuaries including Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch in Texas and the Wildlife Rehabilitation Center in California, pet shelters supported by the Petfinder Foundation, North Shore Animal League, and other worthy animal care facilities supported by the GreaterGood.org foundation.
- The Literacy Site
- The Literacy Site is dedicated to funding free books for children through Room To Read (worldwide) and the First Book program (USA).
- The Child Health Site
- The Child Health Site is dedicated to funding simple and very effective preventatives and treatments with the goal of robust child health around the globe.
- The Breast Cancer Site (USA)
- The Breast Cancer Site provides a feel-good way to help promote awareness of breast cancer and provide free mammograms for women in need every day.
- The Hunger Site
- The Hunger Site was founded to focus the power of the Internet on a specific humanitarian need: the eradication of world hunger.
- Cure Breast Cancer
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure, the global leader of the breast cancer movement, is working to save lives, empower people, ensure quality care for all and energize science to find the cure for breast cancer.
- Children in Need
- 100% of the donations raised go directly to Children International to help children and families overcome poverty through child sponsorship.
- Save the Rainforest
- 100% of the donations raised go directly to The Nature Conservancy, which has protected over 119 million acres of land and 5,000 miles of rivers worldwide since its founding in 1951.
- Save Big Cat Habitat
- 100% of the donations raised go directly to the Wildlife Conservation Society to protect vanishing habitat for endangered big cats.
- Dental Care (USA)
- 100% of the donations raised go to community organizations that provide dental care to people in the USA who would otherwise go without.
- Feed Pets in Need (USA)
- 100% of the donations raised go directly to The HSUS, which advocates for local humane societies and operates its own network of animal sanctuaries.
- Defend Baby Seals
- 100% of the donations raised go directly to the International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW). Your clicks make it possible for IFAW seal hunt observers to continue documenting the cruelty of the hunt, and to keep fighting to ensure we pass historic legislation to ban seal products and end the hunt worldwide.
- Rescue Ocean Wildlife
- 100% of the donations raised go directly to Oceana to save our oceans through policy, advocacy and research. Oceana's scientists, lawyers and advocates work around the world to protect corals, make seafood safe, save sea turtles and more!
- Feed Rescued Primates (Africa)
- 100% of the donations raised go directly to the Jane Goodall Institute, which runs sanctuaries in Africa where orphaned chimpanzees can be cared for and given the chance to live reasonably full lives in spacious conditions. Your click helps JGI feed these rescued primates.
- Stop Global Warming
- 100% of the donations raised go directly to Carbonfund.org, which supports renewable energy, energy efficiency and reforestation projects globally that reduce carbon dioxide emissions and the threat of climate change.
- Violence Against Women
- 100% of the donations raised go directly to Amnesty International to end the systematic violation of women's basic human rights.
- Protect Threatened Wolves (USA)
- 100% of the donations raised go directly to Defenders of Wildlife to help stop aerial hunting of wolves, continue efforts to expand wolf recovery in the Northern Rockies, and more.
- Save Amazon Basin Rainforest
- Click to donate land for free. Reduce pollution for clean air at EcologyFund.com.
- Save Western US Wilderness (USA)
- Click to donate land for free. Donations go to The Nature Conservancy.
- Stop Pollution/Preserve Butterflies (Mexico)
- Donations go to helping to plant trees in the monarch butterfly forest of Michoacan, Mexico; through the La Cruz Habitat Protection Project.
- A Click For The Forest (Sweden)
- Donations go to saving Swedish old growth forest. 'A Click For The Forest' is its own charity and buys forests directly, all the legal documents are available no the website.
- CYCLE Kids (USA)
- Get kids riding bikes, provide PE classes and after school activities.
- Food For The Hungry (India)
- Funds raised by Bhookh.com go to India's UN Food Program.
- Funding projects in developing countries.
- Land Care (Canada)
- Planting trees to help the fragmented forest in the Niagara area.
- Cancer Research
- Craig Research Labs promotes and funds scientific research and public education in all branches of the pure and applied sciences.
Suggested Home Page
Ripple lets you raise money for charity by viewing an ad a day, or running a web search powered by Google. 100% of money raised goes directly to charity.