My original 'Open Letter' was created, I think, sometime in 1995 - memory fails me here simply because it was so long ago! Since then, much to my happiness, people have adopted it, copied it, adapted it, and done all manner of things with it - both with and without my knowledge.
There are many different versions of the "Open Letter To Those Without ..." available now. These are the two current versions which I have done myself:
- Open Letter To Those Without CFS/Fibro - The original "Open Letter".
- Open Letter To Those Without An ID or ICI, is very similar to the above, but adapted for people with Invisible Disabilities or Invisible Chronic Illnesses.
You can also order a poster or print version of An Open Letter To Those Without Invisible Chronic Illness ... from No Pity City. These are great to stick on the wall where many people can read them. No Pity City also has many t-shirts and other things with great disability and chronic illness-related slogans you may enjoy.
Translations of the Open Letter that I am currently aware of:
Please feel free to make more translations and let me know about them.
These are (usually slight) adaptions of the original Open Letter To Those Without CFS/Fibro. They have been adapted by other people so the letter fits other disorders:
- An Open Letter To Those Without MS
- An Open Letter To Those Without Cognitive Disabilities
- A Letter to those without Hereditary or Idiopathic Angioedema
- An Open Letter To Those Without Hepatitis C
- Open Letter To Normals About Fibromyalgia
- A Letter From Someone With Chronic Pain
- Open Letter to Loved Ones about Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy/Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
- Open Letter To Those Without Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome
- Open Letter To Those Without Symptomatic Tarlov Cysts
- Letter to Folks Without Depression and Anxiety
These still have the same inspiration - the original Open Letter To Those Without CFS/Fibro, but are significantly changed from the original:
- Letter to Lyme/CFS Patient from Boyfriend
- What RA is Like: A Letter For Family and Friends
- Please understand… (from the perspective of a non-disabled ally)
Same Intention, Different Inspiration
These are similar in spirit to the Open Letter but, as far as I am aware, have been conceived completely separately.
- Arthritis Do's And Don't's, Origin Unknown.
- Letter To Normals From Someone In Chronic Pain
- To The Families And Friends Of RSD/Chronic Pain Patients
- What I’d Like to Tell My Church About Ministering To People With Chronic Illness
- If You Do Not Have Rheumatoid Arthritis, Please Read This
Know Of More?
If you know of more adaptions and similar works that I could list here, please let me know